Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Long Awaited email!!


Dear Family,

I do have P-day with Matt!  I didn't see him at all today actually, but usually our schedules are very similar.  The first week ours was a little different, but now they are almost exactly the same.  It is fun because we get to eat meals together sometimes and we even got to sit by each other at church.  I felt a little strange putting my arm through his like I usually do... even though it is allowed, but when I gave him a hug the first time I feel like it was way distracting to everyone around him.  It was pretty funny.  The first thing he told me when I got in was... "where were you!?  When I didn't see you I thought you had decided to marry J--- and weren't coming!"  He was so happy to see me.  He has grown up so much already and has learned so much of the language.  It is truly amazing to be here in the MTC.  The spirit felt here is so strong.  I KNOW this is where the Lord wants me to be.  I have already felt a change of heart and the pure love for the people around me is so great.  I feel like I can understand God's love for me a little better.

I have an AMAZING  "tongban" (companion).  Her name is E. B. and she is from Roy Utah.  She and I make a great team.  We are both determined to learn the language, study hard, and be obedient.  I could not be more grateful for her patience and wisdom over the past few days.  We are in a room with a tri-companionship.  They are all English speaking.  One going to Hawaii, one to  Little Rock, and one to Anaheim.  They are all great sisters, but two of them actually left this morning for their areas, so we will get 2 new sisters tomorrow sometime.  I am excited to meet them!  I hope they are as excited about serving the  Lord as my companion and I are.  I must admit I have felt extremely confused.  We have schedules, but a lot of the time we are on our own to decide how to best use that time.  It wasn't nearly as demanding or structured as I thought it would be.  Slowly, but surely, we have been adapting and figuring out effective ways to study and all the many things they want us to study.  Luckily, though we don't always know everything people are very helpful and they have given us many great resources to turn to.

So now for my district.  The most inspired part of all.  We have 6 in our district.  My companion and I, and 2 sets of elders.  We have the Frenchies and the tall Utahns.  They are so funny.  The french elders are named Elder R--- and Elder H----.  Elder R-- is from France going Chinese speaking to Montreal Canada.  He is so funny.  We are constantly laughing at his funny French sayings and accent.  He is very proud of his country and we LOVE it.  It is amazing to see how fast he is learning Chinese and how much the lord is guiding his service.  Elder H---- is from Utah, but he is 1/2 Tahitian (he looks pure white), but his parents speak French, so he grew up knowing the language.  He is going to France Chinese speaking.  He is also learning at a rapid pace.  He is very patient and the most caring out of all the Elders.  He always is looking out for his companion and the rest of our district.  The 2 Utah elders, Elder D and Elder B are great.  D is from Provo area and he knew some Chinese before.  He is the most social and tries hard to SYL (Speak Your Language).  Elder B is the big giant of the group.  He reminds me the most of Matt.  He sits in the corner and often seems a little sleepy and out of it, but he always surprises me with what he has learned.  He always has a spiritual thought to uplift our class.  He really works hard at all he does as well.

 My companion is amazing like I said.  She has perfect tones and a great memory.  She is constantly helping me.  She is not as social as me, but she has a great laugh.  We often giggle or cry together... whichever fits the occasion.  She know the church is true and has a great desire to serve with all her might.  This shows through in all she does.  She is great!

Week one is complete!  I love you all so much!  I am so grateful for this opportunity to serve.  I never even knew what I was missing until I arrived here.  It is not easy and I don't believe it will ever be easy if I have it my way, but I love it!  I will keep a look out for the new missionaries :)  I have also had the opportunity to see many old friends which has been a great blessing.  I'm so proud of you Bryanna!  I wish I could have been there for your talk.  You need to send me a copy!  How is Daniel doing in school and band and everything?  How are you holding up mom?  I am so grateful for all you do for us.  It really does make a difference.  I am learning the language amazingly fast!  I can already bear my testimony and say prayers... granted it is very simple language, but I am progressing.  I love you dad for all that you have taught me.  I hope I can apply it and use my knowledge to share my happiness with all those in Taiwan.

Good luck this week and my prayers are with you all as well!

Give Aimee and Ben hugs for me! :)

Love,

Wen Jiemei- Sister Gummow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment